Sunday, May 27, 2007

dizzy...

Went to see Alex off for a short while at the airport in the morning. I was thinking of heading to the gym straight after that but had a headache which progressively got worse. Luckily i didnt bring my gym stuff with me and decided to head home first and rest for a bit before going out again.
On the bus ride home, Uffs called me to blew off some steam. I was sad to hear that she's decided to end it with Es. I thought things were going really well between them and especially so when its a relationship that her family will approve of since heaps of the previous ones were scorched. Coming from a family who is spiritual and conservative is a wonderful thing however, I still dont understand why religion has to be an issue when it comes to relations between two people. so ok there are standard codes of behaviour between the two sexes, which on some levels I agree in the name of decent interaction but its just too much when it comes to the point where women are being on the loosing end. Using religion to subject women into submission, condemn the "politically wayward", define the "other" as an antithesis to morality and doctrine is just plain disgusting. Religion was created to serve mankind, not the other way around.
I would not say that I'm a religious person myself but I do keep on pushing myself to be cognizant of the value systems that are inherent in every culture and nation. It is so easy to confuse religion and cultural practices. Social interactions are defined by the geo-cultural contigencies that shape them and as religion spreads across many geographical boundaries, it is inevitable that culture and religion are intertwined giving rise to different shades of those religions.
As for Uffs, I hope she finds someone whom she'll be happy with without having to be suffocated by archaic cultural norms (not religion).

On a lighter note, I can't wait to get pressies for the birthday babies next month! woohoo!
Han just got back from Bangkok yesterday and it was his first time. From the thrills he was tellin me about, seems like somebody had a whale of a time. hehe!

I got my exam results yesterday and thankfully my CAP score was pulled up! YAYness! But still I still have plenty room to make it to my ideal score. As for now, I'm able to do Honours but honestly I'm getting tired of what I'm studying. I'd like to take up something more practical and ambitious. I do not know what lies ahead but as for now I'm keeping an eye on working in banking and finance which is totally unrelated to what I'm reading. I gotta read up on the investment stuff very soon. I don't have much time.

No comments: